Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Community Group Dinner 1- Dub-T Mexican Casserole


Making dinner for our community group has taken on a life of its own. I know that I have to mentally prepare for it and be sure to have the ingredients for the dish at least by Sunday before group (which is every other Tuesday). However, I also know how I work. Sometimes, I awaken in the night and think about food- what to cook, maybe how to make it differently, how to add pizzazz, or I entirely change the menu. I have learned that with four kids, changing the menu plan is not always the best idea, because it usually entails errand-running the day of, and then it can make life that much more difficult. That is not to say, however, that I don't do it. Because I do!

But this time, I was sticking to the plan. I was going to whip up a casserole (because they're the easiest for a large group). And I would base it on a recipe my friend, Megan, and I fondly refer to as Dub-T Chicken. I would definitely make this meal again. It turned out to be pretty tasty and relatively easy. I MIGHT, however, take bigger shortcuts next time! So, the recipe is below (though I measured nothing, I am approximating).

Dub-T Mexican Casserole
Servings: 12


For the chicken:
*4 chicken breasts
*8 0z. cream cheese
*1 cup-ish picante sauce
*2-ish TBSP taco seasoning


Boil the chicken until cooked through (about ten minutes) and toss into a mixer, using the paddle attachment. Shred. Throw in the picante sauce and taco seasoning and mix throughly. When entirely cooled, add the cream cheese and mix. Set aside.

For the rice:
*1.5 cups rice (I used long-grain white rice, but any type will do)
*1 TBSP-ish olive oil
*1 cup-ish picante
*3.5 cups-ish chicken broth


Brown the rice with olive oil. Add the broth and boil for seven-ish minutes. Turn down to low heat and add the picante sauce and cover. Cook until fluffy and tender.

The rest:
*2 cups-ish of pinto beans (I cooked mine in chicken broth, but I might take the canned-shortcut next time)
*2 cups-ish green enchilada sauce (or whatever kind you like)
*2 cups-ish shredded cheese
*2 cups-ish crushed tortilla chips
*2 cups-ish drained corn


Mix together the rice, chicken, beans, enchilada sauce, corn and chips and cover with cheese. Put it all in a casserole dish in the oven at around 350 until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the casserole is hot. We topped ours with pico de gallo. I'd also recommend sour cream, hot sauce, or whatever floats your boat.

I only have a picture of the leftovers. Yes, there were leftovers. But I LIKE to think it's because I made a boatload of it (I doubled this recipe). However, I might just be flattering myself:) Either way, the hub and kids loved it-- which means the most to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's the Velveeta? That's what truly makes this recipe... although I really like your cream cheese/pico version!