Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Carmolate Cookies

Wanting to get ahead on a meal I am making for someone, I decided to make the dessert today. I didn't want to go with my comfortable choco-chip cookies. And I had in my mind the chocolate/caramel-dipped pretzels I like to make. Only I didn't have pretzels. So thinking through a substitute, I thought of biscotti. I could make biscotti and dip it, which I still think sounds pretty good. BUT, since we're just coming off the Christmas season, I had sugar cookies on the brain (I'd made two batches last month). Only, I thought sugar cookies might be a little too sweet to then dip in chocolate and caramel. So I opted for its close cousin: shortbread.
Adapting Ina Garten's shortbread cookie recipe slightly, I then dipped in caramel and when that dried, dipped in chocolate. Turned out to be delish. Note: I used milk chocolate because my hubby does NOT like dark chocolate, but I think that a semi-sweet, or dark version would work a little bit better here. Anyway, recipe below:

Shortbread Cookies:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/shortbread-hearts-recipe/index.html
Variation: I use just over 3 cups of flour, eliminate the salt and use salted sweet-cream butter, and I add in a few extra TBSP sugar, eliminating the sugar-sprinkling last step. Additionally, I flour the board with powdered sugar, though I didn't have any this time because my mom has not run to Sam's Club for me in a bit!!! ALSO, I used my little measuring cup as a makeshift cookie-cutter (see picture below), because embarrassingly enough, I don't have a cookie-cutter. My Love, if you're reading this: BIRTHDAY PRESENT ALERT!!!















Caramel:
*1 11 OZ. bag caramels
*1/3 C evaporated milk

I use a bag of the best invention EVER: caramel bits. Okay, actually, I prefer Brach's caramels, but because Kraft makes the bits, and I can get them at Walnut Creek Target for $.93/bag, I go for it. If I am wanting to be perfectly homemade, however, I will go for the full heavy-whipping-cream recipe. But, I find that to be no better than this.

Anyway, stir the two in a saucepan until entirely melted.
Dip the shortbread cookies about 3/4 of the way and let dry on greased parchment paper.When the cookies have dried, prepare the chocolate.


Chocolate:

1 14 OZ. bag melting chocolate

I use melting chocolate, but chocolate chips would be fine too. Melt it and dip the caramel-coated cookies about half-way up the caramel. They will look a bit bohemian, but it's the price of homemade. Either way, they are a great combination of crunch and sweet. However, I am stuffed to the gills from trying pieces and dinner is now out of the question for me. Stink!

No comments: