Saturday, January 21, 2012

Certificate of Citizenship

Yesterday we got Ezra's Certificate of Citizenship from the USCIS in San Francisco.  It was not at all without problems:

*Despite my day-before extensive preparations, we were pretty rushed to make it on time because of heavy rain.

*The notice to pick up his Certificate warned me that if we were on time for our 10AM appointment, we might be dropped; however, I should have known- this is a government entity- it took me a full hour and a half to pick up a document that was already prepared!!!

*I parked in a wonderful spot- or so I thought- until I sent Natalie out to put money in the meter.  When she returned an hour later (yes, an hour-- when our spot was across the street), she gave me the full story: my uber-sized vehicle had been put up on a tow truck, which was pulling away from the curb as she raced out and tracked it down.  Apparently, I didn't see the seriously-teensy signs that said I was parked in a commercial spot.  Her charm and stunning looks were enough to persuade the curmudgeonly driver to take my Burb off the truck and to send her away with a meager $75 ticket.  I'll slip this in here: while I find it to be a travesty that the City seriously picked up my ride within minutes of me parking there and paying, and that it preys upon people as its source of income, I must also say, I am SO thankful that God had my back!  My sister Natalie is the superhero of the day because even now, as I think about it, I shudder at the idea of having to have paid $400 to some impound lot, let alone trying to get to that lot in the rain with the four little ones in tow.  PRAISE THE LORD THAT IT WORKED OUT!!!

So, without further adieu, we did get Ezra's papers that prove he is a red-blooded American!  Hopefully this wonderful token will only be a shadow in his life of what's to come.  I share his American citizenship now, but soon, I hope that we will be fellow citizens in eternity.  "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ" Phil. 3:20.

He's official!

There's our superhero for the day with Judah on her lap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how many times that I've thought of your "adventure" in The City, and been relieved that it went that way. Praise God that you took Natalie w/you, and praise God, too, that she actually asked the tow truck driver about having mercy on the car. She DID think about not saying anything, so I'm thankful. Of course, had the car been towed, God would have worked that out, too. Thankfully, you saw HIS hand BEFORE the car was impounded.

Oh, and you might want to think about changing this sentence:

"The notice to pick up his Certificate warned me that if we were on time for our 10AM appointment, we might be dropped..."

I know that the gov't is a pain, but I kinda think that they wouldn't warn you about being dropped if you WERE on time!

Congrats to Ezzy...such a cute pic on his papers, and now you have a "fun" story to tell about the experience!

M