Saturday, March 5, 2011

When To Trip

My mom and I have been in a discussion about things that trip people up in Christianity, and what should and should not be the cause of that tripping. There have often been times when my focus has been drawn to something obscure, yet somewhat controversial, though generally in the realm of "gray area," when I've had to pray that I would overlook it, or be reminded by my ever-faithful husband that my perspective is off. My mom and I have gone back and forth noting that if there is a decision made in the church with which we might disagree or over which we might squirm, then we must ask ourselves the question: does this rise to the level of sin?

I think it is so easy in our flesh to have monomania about issues in Christianity based on our experiences, our personal storehouse of wisdom, most likely our pride, and often (and unfortunately), our biases toward particular people (or groups of people), that we lose sight of what it is that actually MATTERS. To bring it down from the theoretical, a couple of examples might be: hymns vs. contemporary music, leadership style- elder boards/pastors vs. brethren-style, decisions about finances- where the money is going, etc. etc. etc. So, my prayer for myself in this is that I would lay aside any critical spirit that I might discern those things that are truly worth the second-glance or the battle...

Having written that, I was bummed to read in the New York Times, an article about Rob Bell, purveyor of emergent-style doctrine, and his promulgation of heresies. Is this worth tripping over? YES! But, I defer to Justin Taylor's Gospel Coalition blog, thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2011/02/26/rob-bell-universalist/ . Even with that, I must remember to trust in the sovereignty of God: that nothing is outside of his purview, and that bad doctrine is nothing new in the church or to Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Rob Bell book has been the subject of several blogs lately.

I was just thinking today (as I told Dad recently--or you--can't remember) that a couple of my FB friends have written about being baptized by a woman, or a woman pastor/worship leader, but these FB friends are people w/whom I will spend eternity, and for whom Christ died. So, while I may not agree w/their orthopraxy, I can STILL fellowship w/them on the basis of our being united in Christ. They love Jesus as much (if not more) as I do, so while I probably wouldn't attend the same church as them, it is hardly enough for me to part company w/them, either. When they write (on their wall) about how good God is, then I understand that our focus is Jesus, and I can rejoice as we, together, revel in the goodness of God.

LY, Baby girl.