I just finished reading "Atheism Remix" by Albert Mohler. It was a powerful read that left me wanting to know more about the New Atheism so that I can be better equipped to train my kids to fight a battle that will surely be much greater in their days than it has been in mine.
Mohler deals with the most popular New Atheists, namely Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, but most notably, Richard Dawkins. He does not give a thorough treatment of Dawkins' works as much as he points out the problems as well as popular Christian and pseudo-Christian arguments against those works. It made me sad to see all of the concessions that the so-called theologians make to Dawkins, acceding several key points (as evolution and anachronistic errors in scripture), their arguments doing nothing for the cause of Christ. Rather, the only good their arguments have done (if it can even be called "good") is to note that belief in God at all is not anti-evolution/anti-naturalism. I think I would almost rather see a completely antagonistic view of God than one that tolerates such syncretism. I haven't thought that entirely through yet, but it seems like an open antagonist is one who knows his place in Christendom (or lack thereof), and would be a sure target of evangelism. But one who THINKS that he has a good understanding of God, albeit a God who is partially unbiblical, is harder to pinpoint and is like that wolf among the sheep. They have done nothing but muddy the argument.
I remember reading my dad's copy of "The Stranger" by Albert Camus when I was in high school. What a depressed story by a depressed individual- yet it wasn't unhypocritical at all. His asceticism was at least consistent with his beliefs. If God did not exist at all, and all there was was the matter before us, then he might as well choose death (thus, he did). This almost echoes Paul's statement for the believer in 1 Corinthians 15-- that if our belief in Christ proves false, than we are to be pitied most of all. There is nothing to live for and we have no hope if there is nothing beyond the natural. That's why I tend to think that Dawkins pales in comparison to Camus. There is no way for the New Atheist beliefs to end where they're at- if a true follower of these beliefs takes them as more than maxims, ascetism, eugenics, and mass murder of the weak, believers/dissidents and physically impaired seems inevitable.
Mohler doesn't make these assertions, but they seem obvious to me if the beliefs are followed out. Which brings me to the point: I am cautious for subsequent Christian generations of where we're headed. Jesus does say that if we follow Him, we will be hated by the world. That much seems obvious. But still, this book left me praying that God would raise up workers for Him, that my kids would not falter or concede what is increasingly becoming extremist dogma- that Jesus is the ONLY way, and that biblical theism is absolute and unyielding. Yikes- I need to watch "Veggie Tales" with my son- something light and fun:)
2 comments:
Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.
Amy,
I read a statement in a book at your house (don't remember the title, but the author was John Oller) that really captures my point of view: "Is it sensible to bet your soul on the power of inert matter to transform itself by accident into an intelligent being? How different is that from believing that a frog can turn into a prince? For my part, I find the gospel story more compelling." I thought this statement was so to the point that I copied for reference.
Post a Comment