I washed and dried Ezzy's bedding today (don't ask why). But because the blankets tend to dry very slowly, I pulled them out a bit early and put them on his bed and turned the ceiling fan on high. Then, because Judah got a glimpse of how lovely Ezra's bed is (made perfectly by Mama), he asked me to climb up onto his bed and make it. I'd forgotten I'd turned the ceiling fan on and jumped up on top spryly (for this nearly 33-year-old body, anyway). Well, the fan reminded me that it was, indeed, switched to the extremely on position and it nearly lopped my head clean off. It was horrible. It got me right in the noggin, and right now, I've got a not-too-shabby goose egg, cut and sore forehead giving testament to the occurrence. Of course, at the time, I was in such pain that I yelled out rather loudly and jumped into the fetal position, scaring my sons who couldn't see anything from their vantage on the floor. They both kept peppering me with questions: what happened, Mama? Are you okay? Do you need a hug? Should I come up and kiss it? I knew for their sake that I needed to answer, hard as it was in the pain. I yelled down not to worry, I was okay, but I had hit the fan. They would've laughed if they got the joke. Judah climbed up and gave me a hug and kiss and Ezra kept repeating: God will heal you, Mama.
What I am thankful for in this, is the resilience God gives people. I was thinking this on Saturday, when at a friends' house, a certain well-meaning daddy precariously placed Bethany on a step about 2.5 feet off the tile floor, only to meet her demise moments later as she went crashing, head first into the tile. I replayed that event later that night in bed and shuddered at its memory. I then thought: I need to not replay this, but thank God that He heals so well! And so I did. And it truly made me reflect on the fact that God has perfectly made our bodies to heal quite efficiently. I marvel at His design.
Anyway, it made me think of Romans 8:23- "And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies." Even in our fallen state, our bodies are built with the capacity to heal. How much better will they heal when they are redeemed bodies- or I guess more accurately, how much better will it be when they won't even NEED the capacity for healing when they are redeemed?
But until we are fully healed, Mama and Betty are sporting matching goose-eggs.
2 comments:
Oh ouch!! I am so sorry Amy!! Really you should post a matching goose-egg picture, please!!
I love you, daughter. You're a knucklehead, but you're a cute knucklehead.
I, too, often think about how our bodies, and marvel at how God has put us together. Too bad that you needed a couple of mishaps to remind you. : )
Post a Comment