Sunday, January 25, 2009

Unnoticeable Absence

We have been really enjoying "A Gospel Primer," and all of the nuggets it has. Recently, I was reading this particular one and it struck a chord with me. At times, if I pray to God for something, I tend to give obeisance and back away cautiously (in my mind), as if to indicate to Him that I only have this one little request more and than I'll leave Him be...because God will get impatient with me if I come back with another request. But I think that I am finally grasping the fact that I do not need to walk on eggshells with Him because EVERYTHING I do takes His hand. I cannot help but ask Him for help when I am driving, walking, running, reading, breathing...or even when I am doing silly things, like playing the Wii and I desperately want to beat Mark at the ski jump (like what happened yesterday). It's not like my entreaties are wearisome to God- at least I hope not. Afterall, I am completely reliant on Him for every move I make. Judah loves that song "Waves of Mercy" (well, he loves the clapping and the "na na na na na na" part). But as I sit and listen to that dumb song, I am struck by the little kids singing "every move I make, I make in You, You make me move, Jesus. Every step I take I take in you..." That is true, but I think I am only finally getting it. My heart is a bit relieved because I was so fearful, that each prayer request, I would begin with something like: "Okay, God, if You do this, I really won't ask again for..." And I understand the heart behind that a little bit better. Now, I come to God with minor, silly things, and I tell Him "I have to ask You for this, because I don't have anyone else to turn to. You are the only One." And I really enjoy the freedom that comes in knowing that.

Okay, anyway, the part in the book that I really enjoyed:

"The more I comprehend what God has done for me through Christ, the more I find myself confidently coming before God in prayer, speaking to Him in situations in which I formerly would have shrunk from Him, and offering requests that I formerly would have been too timid to offer (due either to the largeness of the request or my own sinful unworthiness). With greater boldness in prayer comes increased enjoyment of God and the bounty He gives, due simply to the fact that I was daring enough to ask for what was needed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't unnoticed! I definitely noticed that you haven't been writing, and I look pretty frequently to see if there's anything new up. So, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I liked the quote from the book, it's a good reminder. Love and miss you!

Your favorite sis,
Nat

Anonymous said...

Like Natalie, I frequently wonder what "nuggets" you'll have and check your blog often. I, too, LOVED the quote.

I used to have this notion that when I sinned egregiously (of course, my standard determined egrigous), then I would go to God to confess my sin, but then I would back off and let some time elapse before approaching Him. Somehow, in my mind, I figured that the duration of time would be key to coming boldly before Him, i.e., as if "laying low" would be the catalyst for better communication. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Good post.

LY,

M