Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Knockout Lockout, This Is Larry.

Since we moved to our home, nearly four years ago, we have planted a key on our property in case of emergency, in the event that one of our family members, or close friends, would need to get into our house. We did not move that key from its location until two months ago. Mark decided it was high time to relocate the key that had rarely been used. However, in the absence of a good hiding place, he put the task off, and brought the key into the house. Afterall, no one would not be needing it until...

Sunday was a beautiful Spring preview, and Mark really wanted to go for a drive. I was not really in the mood, but being the perfect wife that I am (HA), I went along.

After church, we stopped in Lafayette and picked up Quiznos and Trader Joe's for lunch, and began our journey to Briones Regional Park. If you've never been, it's a lovely drive through the hills of Orinda and San Pablo, overlooking the reservoirs.

We pulled into the parking lot of the staging area at 1:30 and sat in the car, eating our lunches. Judah was in the backseat, playing with his window shade. After lunch, Mark convinced me (albeit, against my will), to walk down to the reservoir.

Mark decided the walk would be short enough not to bring his jacket. We loaded Judah into the Snugli, which is no small chore, considering his girth. And down to the path we walked. Only, at the entrance of the path, there is a sign that required all hikers to walk with passes. I looked at the sign, veiling my glee. We didn't have passes. And Mark was not about to go buy them for a quick walk. I briefly tried persuading Mark that there must be some dangers along the path, which was certainly carved into the hillside by experienced hikers, that should prevent our small, weak family, from disobeying the sign and moving on. I pointed to parts of the path that looked like they required ski sticks and heavy-duty boots. He hastily responded, though, that the trail was paved with concrete, so ski sticks were out of the question. So, he suggested that we just stop by the reservoir and head right back to the car- surely the sign was not talking to US, afterall. My objections, thwarted, I dropped my head and began to walk.

It wasn't so bad. The day was very pretty, though a bit windy. And the reservoir was about five minutes down the hill. Judah enjoyed kicking me like I was his horse, but thankfully, the kicks of an 18-pounder are pretty flaccid.
20 minutes later, we got back to the car, undetected by any pass-enforcing authorities. Mark unstrapped Judah and tossed the Snugli into the trunk. So began the unravelling of an otherwise lovely day. Moments after the handoff (Judah to me), Mark closed the trunk and made the short trek to the front of the car, only to discover that he no longer had the keys that he used to pop the trunk only minutes before. His face was a mix of panic and chagrin, as he quickly realized his mistake. He had tossed the keys in the trunk with the Snugli. We couldn't call our families to go to our house and pick up the extra set of keys, because we no longer had the spare key outside. Nor could we call our tow assistance, because I had just cancelled our policy only months before (because of lack of use).

Judah's naptime had arrived, and his exhaustion was wearing thin his attitude. He clung to Mark, slowly falling asleep. Only, it wasn't as if there was a nice, convenient sitting area...we were in a parking lot, with the sun beating down on us, and the cold wind blowing hard. I took my sweater off and used it as a blanket for Judah. After making a few phone calls (including one to my mom- who else?), Knockout Lockout was on its way.

After an hour and a half, I waved down the driver for Knockout Lockout (he nearly blew past us, on the fast-paced road). He looked like a thug, but became our hero. He unloaded his gear (very shrewd-looking, car-thief style equipment), and had us in the car within ten seconds (no lie). Sixty dollars later, we were on the road again, exhausted from the sun and wind exposure.

I remember as soon as I learned that Mark had tossed the keys in the trunk, I prayed that I would not get upset or impatient. I felt nervous because I wanted Judah to be able to be home in bed, and not outside in the sun and cold. But, I prayed that I would not say a word, except things that would be helpful, and that I would not get impatient, because that would only make things worse. I knew that Mark would be hard on himself, and I was not wrong. He was not too happy with his error. But it was a great teacher of patience for me. I am not always successful in the lessons that God has for me. But this time, I was. I was grateful to get to practice encouragement toward my husband, who already felt pretty low. And in the end, it was no big deal...just another story.

And Judah slept quite well at the end of the day.




Showered, changed, and ready for the end of that long day. Amy and Judah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judah is a DOLL (note the caps)!

His Grandmom (THAT'S what I will be called, Mark!)