Neighborhood evangelism has been on our radar for quite some time recently. And I say this in shame- because we've been in our neighborhood for 8.5 years without sharing even a smidge of God's Word, save for the cheap tracts we handed out ONE TIME! So, after a long time of neighborhood neglect, we hit the pavement running, confessing our weak-sauced ways. Anyway, sometimes, you can have those conversations that are full of Gosportunities (yes, I made up that word). So we were fully charged after a great convo with a neighbor recently, and got to give her a book applicable to her current life-situation (Safe In the Arms of God). Our batteries were charged and it was one of those times when you walk away thinking: Woot! Woot! Party in heaven over this sinner who is just about to be converted (Luke 15:7).
It takes days, if not hours, for the deflation to happen. When she doesn't respond immediately to my personal altar-call, I begin to grow slightly impatient and wearied. I mean, it's been like 45 minutes since I shared! Why has she stiffened her neck- why, oh why, won't she love Jesus?!? Okay, yes, hyperbole, but hopefully you get the point!
A couple days later, I knocked on her door to ask the fam to come over for dinner. When she didn't answer (the lack of cars in the driveway should've been a telltale sign), I walked away and literally thought: Well, I tried! Without acknowledging it, in those three small words, I mentally checked her off my full-throttle-effort list. And right then, like a two-by-four to the kisser (I can't think of a hip word for "head" so I went ahead and sub'd in "kisser"- I mean, it would stink to be knocked in the mouth, too), I realized how easy it is for me to do that. I put forth a single effort and when that effort doesn't reap a harvest a hundred-fold, I am ready to throw in the towel on that one. It's like shaking the dust off my feet (Matthew 10:14) or taking back my pearls from the swine (Matthew 7:6), only it's all quite premature. Ugh to the flesh!
It's amazing how results-oriented we can be. And it just reminds me to run the race hard, detangling myself from my easily-hindered-flesh (Hebrews 12:1). Don't grow weary in doing good (Galatians 6:8-9). Redoubling my efforts has to happen ALL THE TIME! I may get very few responses, but it's not about me, and it's not even about responses. God's Word does not return void (Isaiah 55:11). I know there are times when I feel like what I said was a real doozy, it was the nail-in-the-coffin, the clincher, the coup de grace that will actually cause them to be persuaded. But typically, I'm wrong! It's just the faithfulness in all things, the constant effort and willingness to keep on keepin' on, that seems to be the draw. And when finally, after my white-hot pursuits, THEY COME TO ME, I simply need to make sure that I am as willing to sacrifice my plans as I am to plan my sacrifices.
No comments:
Post a Comment