Monday, May 14, 2012

Unknown

It has been weeks- literally- weeks, since Mark and I have had the opportunity to sit and watch something good on the tube.  We've been spending a lot of our evenings in decidedly more worthy endeavors, albeit far less relaxing.  So it was lovely last night when I suggested we watch a movie.  On the "On Demand" schedule of HBO (our freebie with our cable), we saw that there was a movie called "Unknown" playing.  Its description was enough for us to decide in its favor.  So there we sat, with the occasional interruption of our teething, bathroom-needing, or thirsty child, enjoying a lovely evening together.  The movie was so-so, entertaining enough, but stupid as far as realism.  However, any suspenseful movie, no matter how stupid, always has my heart pounding and my adrenaline pumping through my veins (if that's how adrenaline travels or even works???).  Either way, I felt a little bit on edge by the end of the movie.

And that's how I went to bed.  I was edgy.  And for some reason, my mind began to wander just before I fell asleep.  I started to think about hell (you know those peaceful pre-bed thoughts).  I started to become horrified at what I know will be in hell, but more, at the suffering that I know will happen there.  I allowed myself to think about it more because I know it's a good thing to consider and to allow it to compel me to prayer for the dying world.  I prayed again for my kids (which is an unending prayer) and then for all the little ones I know, and then for all the people I know who are not believers, and through the rest of the world.  And for just a bit, I wished I was Rob Bell and didn't really believe in hell.

Thus, today, I am very tired (not that that's unusual for me).  I feel like I slept fitfully all night, in fact, waking up at one point yelling for Mark, which shook him quite a bit.  Right now, with all of these unhappy thoughts, I could easily begin to question the Lord.  But those thoughts I know to subject to my greater knowledge: that He is good and whatever He ordains is right.  And I am certain that whatever happens, in heaven, I will be rejoicing in His plan-- which involved hell-- and will give Him the glory for it all!

In the meantime, I am going to allow these ruminations about the place of God's wrath, to continue in my mind, because it's a reality in the spiritual world.  We are planning a neighborhood Bible study for this weekend.  We don't know if anyone is planning to come.  But regardless of whether or not they come, we are praying for their hearts and for in-roads. If you read this, you could join us in prayer for our neighborhood Bible study.  We want to love the lost and hate their fate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad and I will continue to pray, but, occasionally, we'd like an update. : ). Teasing...sorta.

M