Well, it's Monday morning, and I definitely am in "gearing-up" mode. I've got the annual Pumpkin Party looming over me, and lots to do. I have done lots for it, but still, I have the periphery to handle. And it seems like the little details always take the most time! So, this week is laid out for me, as I have to finish up food prep, plan out my "decorations" and finish up my kids' (and husband's) costumes. And my Bible-reading this morning had NOTHING to do with my pumpkin preparations (imagine that). There was nothing in there that I could take as really aimed directly at my CURRENT life situation-- no Chinese-like fortune verses: the best parties are thrown in the Fall; preparation always makes for success; pumpkins, people and parties are the greatest combination. No, nothing like that. But still, I have been mulling it, and once again recognizing how important it is to be versed (no pun intended) in all of God's Word, because the things He teaches, even when it's not in direct application, are so rich.
And that's how I feel about 2 Kings 5. It's all about Naaman. Among other application points, one of the things that really stood out to me this morning, was 5:11- "But Naaman was furious and went away and said, 'Behold, I thought, 'He will surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the place and cure the leper.' Are not Abanah and Pharpar the rivers of Damascus better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?' So he turned and went away in a rage."
A lot of unbelievers set up God-tests to make Him prove Himself. And if He doesn't meet their expectations by being the God they've devised in their minds, they turn away, enraged and are hardened to His message. Naaman was hardened, and but for God's grace, through his servant, he was going to turn away. I am compelled to evangelism to a greater degree. I would like to be as that servant to Naaman, helping people to understand that God has not "let them down," just because of their false standard of God. But even more than evangelism, the implications are almost stronger for believers. It is easy to set up expectations and become "enraged" when they aren't met. How often does this rage drive a wedge between God and me when I have unmet expectations to live my life JUST SO? So my prayer is that I might not box God into what I think He SHOULD do in my life, but rather, walk freely, steadily in His grace, yet move-ably, not against His wind!
1 comment:
Pumpkins, people, parties and POP (Preferably canned) make for GREAT parties. Can't have a great party w/out the canned pop...according to you, anyway. Pop is fun.
LY.
Post a Comment