Friday, August 26, 2011

Article from Desiring God

I grew up in a family of ten kids. We used to get many stares and questions wherever we went. Given that I only have a family of four kids now, I am surprised to encounter the same stares and questions. Just yesterday, I was shopping with my kids at Target, and was reminded of the fact that we are a bit of a spectacle. People stare everywhere we go. And we got the usual spate of comments and questions: you're a busy lady...you've really got your hands full...are they all yours? On a recent trip to Costco, we got more nosy questions than I have ever had to answer. Mark and I were totally surprised by the audacity of one of the checkers who asked so many questions, even holding up the line. We were not offended by her questions, but were just surprised that she so unabashedly asked-- seemingly unfiltered: is he adopted? do you get paid for taking the foster boy? are you going to adopt the foster boy? how long will you have him? when did you adopt the other one in the A's hat? how many kids are not adopted?-- no kidding, these were among her many questions. Anyway, my friend, Amanda, sent me this article, that I thought was a good reminder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There came a time when Dad actually wanted to lie about how many kids we had to others...not because he was ashamed, but because he was sick and tired of the questions. (He didn't entertain lying for long--especially since I was annoyed that he even thought about it! : )) Anyway, I think that most people mean well, because they usually talked about how well-behaved you all were (at least in public--we fooled 'em!), but the questions that you got @ Costco are far more invasive and rude than we ever encountered. Sigh...

Enjoyed the article--especially the part about having a clean house! For you, not for me...:)

LY.

the Rehrers said...

I thought of you today. Lady at the courthouse kept calling us 'brave' for having 2 close in age. Kept wondering what she would have said to you.:)