Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why I Love the Church

I always think it's amazing how recognizable Christians are...obviously there are those who are obscured by the youth of their faith. But the acts of charity, of kindness and selflessness are RARE to see in the world. And so when I hear a woman answer a checker's rote question, "how are you?," with "I'm doing well. How are you doing?," I question her motivation, because it is apparent by her expression and tone that she is sincere. And the checker was a bit taken aback, but responded consistently with his question. But the genuine woman continued in her interest of the checker, asking how the day had gone and if it was always so busy. He warmed up a bit, she paid her bill and left. I don't remember how (as it was some time ago), but I found out shortly thereafter, that the woman was a Christian. This is not to say that I almost ever engage checkers in true conversation...many believers are not as gregarious as others. BUT, I also don't want to chalk up such an action to personality- we are all called to be hospitable.

I can think of a slew of public Christian-sightings, all of which are flattering to the believer. That's why it is a shame when the world only takes notice of the awry actions of the erring few. And of course, it's hard to take that they, too, belong to the fold.

But the rare sightings of believers on the outside, is conversely something that is so prevalent in the Church, that I rarely think twice about the acts of service, faithfulness, love, etc. This past Sunday awakened my dormant spirit, as I observed a precious exchange between my son and his old twos class teacher, Mr. Carlson.

Having already dropped Haddie at the nursery where she delighted everyone with her screams, I was frazzled and grabbed the name stickers and quickly put them on the boys. Only, I realized that I'd left my pager on the counter of the nursery- a rare Sunday goes by that I DON'T forget the pager. I walked the boys back in, where my calming child alerted to my presence and re-awakened her drama! Apologizing profusely, I ducked out and took the boys to the next drop: Ezra's twos class.

Mr. Carlson is the regular door-greeter, "Mr. Bear" (the puppet animal), propped on his hand, ready for conversation and a hug. Every time I dropped Judah off, Mr. Carlson would follow the script:

Hello, Judah! Let me take a look at those eyes! Those eyes sparkle. Who woke you up this morning?

Judah: Jesus! (I don't know why he would answer this way, because he almost NEVER had to be awakened. But perhaps he was simply misappropriating the common Sunday school answer!)

Lest you think the fact that Mr. Carlson asked Judah the same things every week as a sign of disinterest or mere habit, nothing could be further from the truth. He seemed to ask other kids different questions. I suspect he likes hearing their amusing answers. What's more, Judah is a reticent child and routine always helps him. So the same question/answer flow was something I appreciated for him.

Mr. Carlson's decades of service in the twos class is a good indicator that he loves what he does. While it's a routine for him, he treats all of the kids uniquely and with genuine love. Anytime Judah missed for sickness or travel, I could count on a Tuesday phone call from Mr. C letting me know that they were praying for Judah and wanting to express concern over his absence. Even when Ezra first started class (last month), Mr. C called to let me know that Ezra is a delight, that he "fits right in" and does great. How refreshing to get calls of encouragement about my kids- since I pretty much expect not-so-fun phone calls!

So last week, when Judah walked in, Mr. C's face lit up and he peppered Judah with questions about his new class. He then noted how big Judah is getting, though he could barely speak through his tears. He asked for a hug and then turned to welcome Ezra. I walked in a revelry as I took Judah to his class.

It was obvious from the exchange that Mr. C not only loved my son, but that his love for my son was a result of his love for God. The moments of frazzled-pre-church-drop-offs slipped away as I dwelt on the interaction. This man, who is at the twilight of his earthly years, has encouraged multiple generations of believers, and bolstered their faith through his faithfulness and TRUE investment. And I don't want to be melodramatic, but it seemed obvious that he was moved by the fact that time is flying- as he noted Judah getting older, it would only mean that he was getting older, being ushered closer to eternity. It is difficult enough to watch vulnerable people cry, but to watch sweet elderly people cry, that's even harder. I reflected on the fact that life is a vapor, and there is substance shortly after. Mr. C is a marvelous example of faithful service to the Lord. Going away, I was motivated to:

1. endeavor to serve those I serve with investment
2. to finish the race and run with endurance
3. to be thankful to those who have run with endurance

I hope all of the two-year-olds (and affected families) that were taught by Mr. C will be in heaven giving witness to his salutation: Well done, good and faithful servant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking yesterday about the Church, i.e., fellow believers in Jesus, and the bond that we have w/them, regardless of language barriers, or whether or not we have met them personally (think blog and FB "friends"). Believers are a motley crew, but the commonality that we share is so much more than our differences.

While this may have little to do w/your post, I do think that it speaks to what the Church should be, i.e., a band of believers who love Jesus, want to glorify Him, and love each other.

Mr. C IS inspiring. It was an encouragement to read this today, since, nearly every week (today was no different), I think that I can't keep teaching because it takes so much time to prepare.

May I be more like Mr. C, who looks so much like his Savior.

L,

M

Anonymous said...

That was touching. When Mr. Carlson talked in church a couple months ago, it was neat to see all the people stand who had him as a teacher or had one of their kids in the class. It's neat that he's served in the twos for so long. And Judah's response is so funny to that question! Precious! -N