Last Tuesday, I read The Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney. It is a really easy read, so I got it done in a couple of hours. There were three things I took from it that I consider to be pretty good wisdom.
For one, I sometimes struggle with "condemnation," thinking more about my sin and my guilt (than the cross) and feeling ashamed before God in prayer or worship. I find sometimes that I try to make sure my heart is purged of all grotesque problems before gingerly approaching in prayer...as if I don't "deserve" to be in His profound presence. I forget that He has forgiven me, and I don't have to pay emotional penance by remembering my sin before Him and being sure to feel horrible about each atrocity I've committed- which, despite my best efforts, is impossible to do, anyway! So, I am allowed to confess my sins, because He is faithful to forgive me of my sins and cleanse me from ALL unrighteousness...but it is not my job to cleanse myself. The onus is on Him...which leads me into the next point.
I loved Mahaney's definition of "legalism." It was from his own head, and just the way he remembers it. He said, "Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God and acceptance by God through obedience to God." I do this! I seek God's stamp of approval at times, thinking that He will accept me MORE. I am LEARNING (SO SLOWLY) to relax in His love. This is perhaps the most difficult for me.
Finally, I really liked some of his tips about living truly cross-centered...i.e. being sure to infuse my days with reminders of the King of Glory. I am determined to do this- until I fail again...and the cycle will repeat itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment