Last week, we had a Well-Baby checkup at Kaiser. This was the first for us in 10 months. However, it is not because I am neglectful...but because I have my doubts about certain "necessary" steps in raising my baby. The reasons for my reticence were confirmed last Thursday.
We got to the doctor's office right on time and I began filling out the paperwork. They had me responding to a questionnaire that contained no fewer than 20 questions on it about my treatment of my child. The questions were rather invasive. Do I raise my voice at my son? Do I spank him? Do I feed-on-demand? Most of these, I thought, were not remotely related to a doctor visit. So, I decided not to fill out many answers. Now, I suppose I understand the origin of such questions. We live in an environment when parents' motivations and methods have been so tainted by sin that often there is a question about whether a child is being protected...but is oversight the job of Kaiser? Anyway, that was merely the beginning of the visit.
They called me into the room where the nurse proceeded to undress Judah, weigh and measure him, and sit him on the examining table. Once she left, I did my best to entertain him as we waited for the doctor to finally arrive. Fifteen minutes later, which is not horrible compared with some of my waits, the doctor came in.
I had questions about vaccinations because I have been hearing and reading so much about the potential link to autism, and Mark and I have refused to vaccinate until we know more. Anyway, the doctor noted that Judah is behind on several vaccinations, and we would make efforts to catch up that day. When I stated my concerns, however, I was met with arrogant agitation (at best). The doctor proceeded to inform me that he was a Harvard graduate with a granddaughter and sees no reason for alarm. He told me that my decision would be "emotion-based" because clearly I was not basing my reasoning on science. He also went on to say that I have now exposed my son to many potentially fatal viruses, and nearly equated that with child-abuse (and I kid you not). He also noted that in New Jersey, it is law that people have to vaccinate before putting kids in school (not sure why I needed to know that). After telling me that vaccinations are the best medical breakthrough of the century, he brought out a paper for me to sign that said "Refusal to Vaccinate." What was so amazing, is that I WASN'T refusing to vaccinate. I only had a number of questions, and was refusing to do their schedule of vaccinations. It was at this point that he softened (only slightly), and told me that he wasn't trying to dissuade me (WHAT?!?), he just wanted me to know the facts and not make a decision based on inadequate scientific data.
After half an hour, he released me with a stack of papers, including the CDC's phone number, the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia handout, the National Vaccine Program Office number, recommended readings by the CDC and others.
Anyway, I came away MUCH more confused than I had been before. I am also disappointed in the system. But, I discussed it with Mark, and he has told me to begin the vaccination schedule...that God's sovereignty will reign supreme- even in light of our as-informed-as-possible decision. So, it is what it is.
1 comment:
That is so stupid! He was trying to persuade you into it. If you don't want to you shouldn't have to be lectured into it. I wouldn't do the vaccinations just for spite. You should tell him "I was going to, but since you lectured me now I am not!"
Lydia
Post a Comment