Thursday, January 3, 2008

Kitchen Demolition (Destruction) and Completion



This whole last month, we have been piece-mealing our kitchen back together. It all started because an impulsive member of our family decided to do something different and strip her awful cabinets (yours truly). Mark and I are polar opposites in that way. If I get an idea- usually half-baked- I am racing to completion. Mark, on the other hand, is much more plodding and practical. So, last year, when I decided to give the cabinets a facelift, I was six months pregnant, and bored on my Christmas break. I must admit now, that it was a terrible mistake. I took Mark's sanders to them, and made some irreversible divets. In February, two months before my due date, my father-in-law, took over the project. Let me say this, though I fear that he will be wise to our trickery if he reads on: nothing sends him into greater convulsions of fear than knowing that his daughter-in-law is messing with something in the house. And I am all-too-aware of this. So, if I want something done around my house, I need only to mention that I will take matters into my own incapable hands, and before I know it, he is at the stoop, seeking to quell my desire for change with a bit of construction.

Anyway, like I said, I made a few mistakes along the way, before he took over, and stripped our white cabinets down to wood. He painstakingly cleaned, sanded, routed, and polyurethaned our "new" cabinets to perfection (minus the somewhat unnoticeable divets that I made). That part of the project was completed in August, at which point, I convinced Mark to begin ripping out the nasty tile from the countertops. And again, we mentioned our inadequate demolition to Frank, and he was here instantly, tearing off countertops, and preparing for new ones. After the granite installation at the beginning of December, he began work on the travertine backsplash. I coaxed him into letting me do the installation under his supervision. He couldn't have given me a more reticent affirmation. But, I began, showing him how meticulous I could be. Finally, we have completed the remodel of cabinets/countertops/window in our kitchen. It looks lovely.

I have included a picture of the remodel. The quality of the pic is not so great. Mark lost our digital camera, so we are forced to use the old, nearly-dead, one.

Anyway, onto the next project. I'm now ready to build a pool fence in the backyard- Frank, did you read that???


What does Judah's picture have to do with any of this? Nothing. I just like this one. He's such a serious fellow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, I'm nowhere to be found in your blog! Maybe you could put up a picture of me with Judah????

Love,
Your sis (I think you know which one)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this picture.

LY,

Mom